Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Pesta 'Iktikaf Bermula





--------------

Al-I'tikaaf

Seclusion for the
Remembrance of Allah

* Waterval Islamic Institute, Publ. Number 87
PO Box 1, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2000.*


What is I'tikaf?
The meaning of I'tikaf is to seclude oneself in the masjid with the express intention (niyyah) of I'tikaf, for the remembrance of Allah, even though for a few seconds only.

Conditions of I'tikaf
The following are conditions for performance of I'tikaf:

* To be a Muslim.

* To be sane.

* To be pure and clean from hadath akbar (major impurity), haidh (monthly menses) and nifas (bleeding of child-birth).

* To perform I'tikaf in a masjid (for males only).

* To form the niyyah (intention) for I'tikaf.

* To fast for wajib and sunnah I'tikaf (discussed below).

Note: Women may observe I'tikaf in the home. It is also not necessary to have reached the age of puberty to observe I'tikaf; therefore an intelligent child (male or female) may observe I'tikaf.

I'tikaf For Females
Females should perform I'tikaf in the masjids (ie. the room set aside for prayer) inside their homes. Where, however, no such room exists, and the desire to observe I'tikaf is present, the room where salah is normally performed should be set aside for this seclusion. If salah is performed in the bedroom, I'tikaf could be performed there. The domestic duties should be carried out by the daughters or servants while the person in I'tikaf remains constantly in 'ibadah in her room.

I'tikaf is a much easier task for women, for in fact, she remains in the confines of her room at home and receives the same great rewards of I'tikaf. It is very unfortunate that in spite of this ease, our womenfolk still remain deprived of the blessings of I'tikaf. Generally this sunnah is neglected so much so that many have not even heard of it!

Additional Rules for Females in I'tikaf
In addition to the general rules of I'tikaf that apply to men, there are some rules that apply to women only:

* A woman may perform I'tikaf in the room that is used for her daily salah.

* A woman must have the permission of her husband for I'tikaf. Once the husband has consented to his wife's I'tikaf, he then cannot withdraw his permission.

* If there is no person to serve her meals during I'tikaf, the woman is allowed to go to the kitchen to prepare a quick simple meal.

* If, during the I'tikaf, the woman has her haidh (monthly menses) or nifas (bleeding after child birth), the I'tikaf is nullified. She has to observe make-up of the remaining days after she is pure again. This is if the I'tikaf was a wajib or sunnah, in which the vowed number of days was fixed.

* In the case where the I'tikaf was a wajib in which the days vowed for were not fixed in number, she will have to observe make-up of the full I'tikaf.

* For her Qada I'tikaf she should begin before Maghrib; thus sit for the night first and then the succeeding day. In the reckoning of the Shari'ah the night precedes the day.

* A woman is allowed to sleep on her bed and use a chair while she is in I'tikaf. She could also walk around in the room for a short while to relieve the stiffness in her limbs.

What is allowed during I'tikaf
The following are allowed in the masjid during the I'tikaf:

* To eat and sleep

* To change clothes.

* To clip the nails or trim the moustache.

* To recite the Qur'an aloud or recite tasbih or kidhikr with a raised voice if it does not disturb others.

* To have religious discussions and lectures and to speak about lawful matters.

What is dis-allowed during I'tikaf
The following are not allowed in the masjid during the I'tikaf:

* To talk about worldly affairs, backbite or tell an untruth.

* To remain silent and regard it as 'ibadah.

* To shave the beard.


Please learn more here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home